I’ve avoided pasta, potatoes and bread for many years. Somewhere in my journey of relating to food, these landed themselves on the banned list…bad foods. I’m rewriting my relationship with food and exercise, my previous relationship was a bit toxic. In that vein, I’m exploring ways to eat these foods that were, with sever food prejudice, gastronomically snubbed. Last week I shared potato, spinach and artichoke soup from Rachel Ray. This week, I’ve got a little concoction of my own creativity to share.
To Be Pasta
8 oz. whole wheat penne
1 cup broccoli (chopped)
4-6 cloves garlic (crushed)
6 slices of bacon (chopped)
1 tbsp red pepper flakes
1. Boil water for the pasta.
2. Chop broccoli and garlic and set aside.
3. Add pasta to salted boiling water and set timer as directed on the pasta packaging.
4. In a large skillet or wok, brown 6 slices of chopped bacon.
5. Add broccoli to boiling pasta when you have 5 minutes remaining on your timer.
6. Once the bacon is browned, add the garlic and cook until golden.
7. Drain pasta and broccoli and add to the skillet with bacon and garlic over low heat.
8. Add red pepper flakes and toss.
9. Serve with parmesan cheese.